Thursday, October 30, 2014

Grace in the Wilderness

Thus says the LORD: “The people who survived the sword found grace in the wilderness; when Israel sought for rest, the LORD appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. (Jeremiah 31:2-3 ESV)

Weary in Well-doing

I would have gone; God bade me stay:
        I would have worked; God bade me rest.
He broke my will from day to day,
        He read my yearnings unexpressed,
                And said them nay.

Now I would stay; God bids me go:
        Now I would rest; God bids me work.
He breaks my heart tossed to and fro,
        My soul is wrung with doubts that lurk
                And vex it so.

I go, Lord, where Thou sendest me;
        Day after day I plod and moil:
But, Christ my God, when will it be
        That I may let alone my toil
                And rest with Thee?


~Christina Rossetti

There is grace in the wilderness. Even though we may feel like the waves just keep coming and we can't fight the undertow anymore, there is grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so please feel free to share!